Comcast has announced it's Internet Essentials program, wherein low-income families will be eligible for Comcast internet access for $9.99 per month.
From their website:
- You get fast home Internet service for only $9.95 a month, plus tax
- You never have any price increases or pay any activation or equipment rental fees
- You can buy a computer at initial enrollment for the low price of just $149.99 + tax
- You can get free Internet training — online, in print and in person
I think this is fantastic. Access to the internet provides endless opportunities for learning and acceptence into the global community. The debate about how internet access plays into fundamental human rights has been gaining global attention.
Here are the requirements:
- Be located where Comcast offers Internet service
- Have at least one child receiving free school lunches through the National School Lunch Program
- Have not subscribed to Comcast Internet service within the last 90 days
- Not have an overdue Comcast bill or unreturned equipment
Again, I applaud this. I don't always agree with Comcast's practices, but this is a step in the right direction.